Your one-stop checklist to planning your engagement party:
6 Weeks before:
- Compile your Guest List
- Draft out your budget
- Find and book wedding venue (for best South African wedding venues, connect with our vendors under Venues)
- Find and hire caterers and/or serving staff where necessary
- Find and hire décor provider for tables, chairs, flowers and other items preferred
- Think about Guest favours
4 Weeks before:
- Finalise guest list
- Decide on engagement party and decor
- Design and send invitations
- Maintain and keep track of Guest RSVP list
- Make a shopping list of all the items you require sorted by vendor or responsibility
3 Weeks before:
- Plan engagement party menu that includes starter, main meal, dessert and finger foods, and drinks too!
- If not all the food and drink are being externally catered, delegate what must be brought by whom.
- Make a selection of music for background ambience, entrances, dances etc.
- Assign responsibilities for specific family and friends who may be assisting you at the event
- Assign event items such as venue, caterer, florist etc. for those who may be contributing to the event.
- Order or make guest favours
2 Weeks before:
- Cross check your shopping list to determine what you have and what is still outstanding.
- Confirm with your décor rental company on any crockery and cutlery you may be renting or simply make a trip to a party store to obtain your theme inspired plates and cups (Bride Control has some great online stores for props – check under Wedding Vendors)
- Determine if you would like entertainment (not expected at an Engagement party): just background music or engaging games to occupy your guests?
- Order an engagement cake if required
1 Week before:
- Finalise your guests against your RSVP list and send final confirmations
- Confirm all vendors such as venue, caterer, décor hire, confectionery
- Catch up with family and friends on assigned tasks and progress
3 Days before:
- Buy and prepare all food that can be refrigerated
- If the party is at home, give it a good clean! If it is an external venue, arrive early to inspect and set up
- Decorate, put out guest favours, lay out any entertainment or games, and organise the seating (if any). It is advisable to have some seating for your older guests.
On The Day:
- Caterer or allocated people to prepare food at least 6-8 hours before the event
- Lay out the crockery and cutlery on the tables
- Organise the bar with glasses, sliced lemons, ice and the available drinks
- Toss salad, decorate platters, and lay out food options
- Add any finishing touches and additional bespoke items such as photos, balloons, candles etc.
- Switch on background music
- Get dressed and freshen up to receive your guests (Don’t forget your ring!)
Enjoy the party!
Photo: Ever Ever Photography